Templeton Pops Mageza is a senior lawyer in a private practice. He holds numerous qualifications in law. These are a B. IURIS (Fort hare); LLB (Rhodes); LLM in Public law (University of Pretoria); Certificate in Competition law (Wits); Certificate in Risk Management (University of Cape Town).
He has represented many political stalwarts and individuals in sensitive matters and cases. Founder and promoter of BEE start ups and entities.
He is also a published co-author of a book – Bethal Trial; a businessman and has Acted as a Judge of the High Court for numerous terms between 2010 and 2013. He has produced numerous judgments (reported and unreported) on SAFLII and other legal sites.
- Born in Grahamstown – Eastern Cape.
- High school – Mosupatsela Krugersdorp (1973 – 1977).
- Detained October 1976 following student uprising
- Employed as a Teacher at George Mqalo High School ‘79 – Alice, Eastern Cape.
- Enrolled law school at Fort Hare University ’80.
- Awarded Juta Law prizes ‘80 and ‘81 (first and second year) as a leading student and for outstanding scholarship.
- Expelled from Fort Hare in September ’82 following student political boycotts.
- Vacation student employee Legal Resources Centre ‘81 and ‘82.
- Munich Re-Insurance – Full time employee – ’83 and ’84
- Readmitted Fort Hare ’85 – Graduated ’86 B. Iuris
- King Williamstown – Zwelitsha Magistrates Court employee ’86
- Rhodes LLB ’87 and ’88
- Admitted as Attorney (TPD) – 16 June 1992
- Masters Degree in Public Law – 2004
- Certificate in Competition law – 2008
- Certificate in Risk Management – June 2015
- Legal practice history – See Profile
- Business- See Business Link
- Judgments in Acting position – See Judgments
- Articles written and press reports – See Articles